December 11, 2011

Next Up

The Royal Bison Craft & Art Fair. This glorious event calls to all the yuppies, hipsters young and old, artists, and wannabe cool folk like myself. Over 70 vendors from around town were selected from a wide number of applications to showcase their work to the city. Their talent and skill ranged from baking to drawing to modifying found items into working electric lamps and guitar amps to handmade fine clothing to knitting, crocheting, and leather work. The list of awesomeness goes on and on.

Public service announcement for those wishing to go to the next one (which I believe is in 5-ish months): it is very busy and the walls were ready to burst due to the number of shoppers there. Not good with crowds? I insist on either going early and moving quickly (crowd permitting of course) or have a friend who loves to shop go for you, equipped with video feed so you can tag along from the comfort and safety of your own home.

This was just half of one of the halls in the venue hosting the Fair.
See? Lots of people. Lots of people taking lots of little steps to move
from vendor to vendor.

I was thrilled that two friends of mine were among the special selected 70! Jennie of The Pretty Knotty Sweatshoppe and Greg of the *Rya-ton Leatherworks. I have known Jennie for a handful of years and her work is fabulous! Trust me, the textures and materials she uses to create these gems are super soft and warm and fashionably on the mark. She has become rather well known the arts and style circles of this here fine city. She was featured on the Royal Bison's site and also a few times on Dress Me Dearly (local fashion blogger who keeps me updated on lovely things and goings on in Edmonton - a big thank you! to Janis even though we have yet to cross paths). Either way, check out this and that. Jennie also has a Facebook page and I highly recommend you head on over, say hi and check out her work. Don't forget: The Pretty Knotty Sweatshoppe. You'll love it. Promise.

Now, Greg has been here before. He is the one that resides in the most wonderful house in Edmonton. His house is in the process of renovations and looks spectacular from what I've seen. Upon our visit to the Fair, we discovered that Greg had accomplished the task he set before himself when his house modelled for me. The task was this: to make his own shoes. He did it! And they look and feel great! How cool is that?! Making your own shoes from scratch. He's so awesome. Greg and his lady (known from now on as Lady C) are wonderful warm people. Crafty and conscientious. While Greg cobbles shoes and cuts belts and elbow patch kits, Lady C is enriching her mind and heart with the artful self-sustainability of the Living Roof. I can't wait until we have dinner one night so she can tell me all about it and her future plans with incorporating it into their daily lives. Greg also has a Facebook page and a website. Please please please take a look at his shoes! They are wondrous! One of my favourite things is the belt that Greg made. My Birch Belt. It looks identical to birch bark, in fact you can hardly tell it's leather when placed next to a branch of the real deal. It's the only belt I wear with pants (it doesn't fit my dress' belt loops *sad face).

Here's a little peek at what I was able to snap from Greg's table:

Amazing items include shoes, belts, belt buckles,
elbow patch kits, wallets, and clog sandals.

I can't get enough of the blue shoes! Those are rad!

No rest for the skilled: creating at the Fair.

I must apologize to Jennie, I did not get any photos of your table. I felt bad that you basically had to stand the whole time in cramped quarters. I hope you had some opportunities to move out from behind the booth to walk around and enjoy a snack from Culina (most delicious place). Picture this friends: Jennie, beautiful and guarded by her towers of lovely warm cowls, scarves, and slippers. All displayed on shelves which she hand painted until the wee hours of the morning on Fair day #1. Again, no rest for the skilled.

I had a wonderful time! I will surely be at the next one and armed with lots of cash for many purchases (sorry Q). 

Thank you Jennie and Greg! And congratulations! I hope to see you both at the next Fair!

xoxo




1 comment:

  1. Huge thanks for the shout out! Just came across your blog and will surely be visiting again.. hope we cross paths soon!

    www.dressmedearly.com

    ReplyDelete