September 13, 2012

I've Mastered This One

It's the truth, and I'm definitely going to brag about this. It's so delicious, especially if you love chocolate. And yes, I'm going to have a single post for each recipe. What of it?


Classic Chocolate Mousse


4 oz.         bittersweet or semi-sweet chocolate, grated or finely chopped
4               large egg whites
2 tbsp.      sugar
1/4 tsp.     salt
1 c.           heavy cream (whipping cream if you are in Canada)

*Note: I found that while both chocolates are delightful for this recipe, the bittersweet was better. Semi-sweet was almost too sweet.

- In a double boiler over simmering water, melt the chocolate, stirring constantly until melted smooth; immediately remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites with handheld mixer until soft peaks form. Sprinkle in sugar and salt and beat until stiff, glossy peaks form.
- Fold egg whites into chocolate until blended.
- In a deep bowl, beat the cream until soft peaks form. Fold into chocolate mixture until blended. Final mixture will be very soft.
- Divide mousse into small serving dishes or keep in large bowl. Cover with plastic wrap (or tin foil, anything really) and refrigerate for at least 2 hours (or up to 2 days) before serving.


This particular time I used silicon cupcake cups as serving dishes. So cute!
I also topped with shredded sweetened coconut and shaved bittersweet chocolate.
Another time I topped with shaved green candy melts (by Wilton).
Next time I'm going to use whipped cream with vanilla sugar and coconut. Mmm!


It's the first dessert that I made successful from scratch the first time I tried. Bragging rights: earned.

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment