August 23, 2011

I Almost Forgot!

June now gets more than just an honourable mention due to my quickly decaying memory. It gets two posts! Behind our house and a Q's arms length from the balcony, there is a beautiful tree. I'm not sure what kind, but it's full of gorgeous leaves that make the most relaxing sound when the wind blows through the branches. Within and around this tree, there are many birds that stop by and chat with and taunt the cats. I decided to make some birdseed ornaments for our winged friends. Here's the result:


I made 12 of these delicious beauties, some were pumpkin shaped (testing for the coming holiday). I watched the tree like an eager 5 year old watching a birdbath, waiting for some little feathered guy to splash around for a few minutes. No birds to be seen. Go figure. I decided to let it be and go watch some paint dry. When we arrived home from work the next day, me love said to me: "Hey Honey, come look at the tree!" I thought that there was a plethora of birds munching away at their buffet, so I ran like a 5 year old to the balcony. Nope, no birds. Something was off. It took a moment, but then it hit me: the landscapers had come by that day and trimmed all the trees on the block! All of the lower and reachable branches were gone! And with the branches went the bird buffet, all but one. The one you see in the above photo is the only survivor (funny because that photo was taken before the massacre). The day after that, the ornament was completely eaten with nothing left but the twine on the branch. The meal I made for them was a success! Although I think I will stick with a slightly more elegant way to feed the birds from now on. Then I can breathe calmly. Calm. Breathe.

P.S.: Peek-a-boo!


1 comment:

  1. Love your Bird Buffets!! Post how you did them pretty please!?!?! I would soooo love to spoil a few feathered friends.
    xx

    ReplyDelete